What it is
- New in 3.0: Embeds via pasting the URL in its own line just like WordPress!
- One single button for all providers (for most providers not required anymore since 3.0)
- Responsive embeds with CSS
- Unique thumbnail mode
- Tries to be as unobtrusive as possible (sets ‘hide brand’ variables to true if supported, uses youtube-nocookie embeds)
- Clean Shortcode syntax
[vimeo id="123456"]no ugly URLs, no unnecessary Shortcode wrapping.
- Autostart (for providers that support them)
- Start videos at given time (For Youtube and Vimeo only, see ‘Usage’ below)
- Optional maximal width
- Colorbox integration (lightbox)
- Video alignment
- General Iframe support for any provider that not included that support iframe embeds. Can be used for any URL but will always be 16:9 ratio sized Iframe.
- Detailed description of options in-place, also available translated into German.
Responsible embeds automatically re-sized to 100% of your content area. You can set up a maximal width if you don’t want to let the video get bigger then you like it.
This requires jQuery Colorbox to be loaded. This simply transforms your Shortcodes into thumbnails and when you click on them it will open a big video in a Colorbox.
It will get thumbnail images from providers that support them, currently this is Youtube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and Blip.tv for all other providers you have the option to emulate a thumbnail called “fake thumbnail” and load the actually video player in thumbnail size with a invisible link on top of it to open the Colorbox. If fake thumbnails are disabled, or not possible they are displayed as black videos or you can pick your own thumbnail image. Watch the Thumbnail Demo test here.
If you want to use the
Thumbnail Mode you need to install the jQuery Colorbox Plugin or make colorbox load in any way on your WordPress.
For most web-hosts the usual way:
WP Dashboard -> Plugins -> Add New -> Search ‘Advanced Responsive Video Embedder’ -> Install -> Activate
- Extract the zip file
- Upload the
advanced-responsive-video-embedderdirectory to the
- Activate the plug-in through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Make some Options in Settings->A.R. Video Embedder if you like
- Click the Video icon in your WordPress rich text editor, enjoy!
- You can add
autoplay="yes"to the shortcodes to make single videos autoplay. For autoplay of all videos there is a option and you not need this.
- You can add
time="123"in seconds for Youtube and
time="1m2s"for Vimeo to start Videos at that given times
If you want to manually create Shortcodes, here are the old instructions, but remember that its easier just to paste the URL/embed code in the buttons dialog.
If Videos work on phones or tablets depends on the video provider. If the provider only serves in Flash it won’t work on Apple.
What it does NOT
- lots of customization / options
- use of oEmbed, completely useless and unnecessary for video embeds in my opinion, providers send all sorts of junk HTML, the embeds come with a fixed not responsive width, inline CSS that’s not needed. Embeds by this plugin are created the same simple way for every provider. Unfortunately they still can do what they want in Iframe, Collegehumor for example puts a white line with a Facebook like button under the video but all others serve clean video. Watch the test page.
If you find any bugs then report them on Github.
The regular expressions to detect the ID’s might not be perfect, if you notice a ID not being detected right or not at all please report it.
Fake thumbnail mode is currently automatically disabled for this providers because they serve the video (inside Iframe) without wmode=transparent what causes ‘clicking through’ the invisible links instead of opening the lightbox. Comedycentral, Gametrailers, Liveleak, Movieweb, Myvideo, Snotr, Viddler. If you happed to know that there are parameter options to make them serve the video with a wmode=transparent let me know in comments below.
If you like to translate the Plugin please go ahead and send me the translation files. I recommend the Codestyling Localization plugin to do it.